Friday, July 30, 2010

Rockbox and a polarizing filter

From photo project 2010


The Subject:
Visiting http://thegearpage.net is often a dangerous thing for my piggy bank. I'm too easily tempted by forum members trying to unload their gear, and last week, I caved in. This came in the mail yesterday - a Rockbox Boiling Point, standard is the custom marble paint job. I haven't played with too many overdrive pedals, but this one has an incredible tone, extremely dyynamic, and very versatile. I can go from a very soft, quiet non-distorted sound to a heavy distortion just by changing my picking and strumming intensity without fiddling with the knobs, or stomping on another pedal for more gain and drive. The unfortunate thing is that this pedal, like most pedals, don't sound very good unless the volume is turned up a bit. So with the incredible amount of gain on this, it may just make me deaf. I know my ears feel fatigued already after playing in a small room for 20 minutes.

The Shot:
This isn't the most interesting shot, but I did have to use a polarizing filter. On another post where I shot my pedal board, I stated that I had to use a polarizing filter. The mistake I made on that post was that I had turned the polarizing filter too far to the dark side, and I lost a lot of the detail that the natural light was highlighting. This time, I wised up and turned the filter only so that the reflection wasn't so strong that you couldn't see the marble paint job, but was light enough that you can see the highlight on the black knobs where light is bouncing off of them. If I had turned it too far to the dark side, the black knobs would've lost a lot of detail and highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment