Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Photography - Pre-DSLR

My first real foray into photography came over 10 years ago, when I won a photography lesson at a service auction for our Young Adult Fellowship group at church. Being completely new to photography, I learned a little bit about how to compose a photo, and was encouraged to keep practicing. However, at the time, we still had these things called "film", and digital cameras were just emerging on the market. The cost of buying film and developing them turned me away for a long time until I purchased a Sony Cybershot 3.2 megapixel in 2002.



With a digital camera in hand, I began to click away without the worries of developing a whole roll of film only to find that all my shots were terrible. Now I can see how terrible most of my shots were on screen! Out of all of these shots, most have been horrible, a large handful were not too bad, a few were good. I share the small handful of what I felt were good ones here, taken mostly within the last 5 years. These were all taken with a Sony Cybershot T-60, and have been processed with Photoshop.



3 photos taken below at New York Botanical Garden Oct. 27 2006. I really liked the first two shots as it mimicked a wider aperture of an SLR by shooting in macro mode (I think). The third one, I wish I had given the same treatment of mimicking a shallow DOF focusing in on the white flower with the pond leaves blurred a bit more.

From pre-SLR


From pre-SLR


From pre-SLR


Taken at my cousin's wedding in North Carolina on May 18 2009. Again, shallower DOF would've been nice. The detailed background with the trees and the photographer's lighting equipment was just a terrible distraction detracting from the main subject.

From pre-SLR

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I totally remember that lesson! I think I liked one of the shots you had taken of your guitar.... Wow, that was a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete