Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Into the Sun

From photo project 2010


To commemorate our new windows being installed last week, I thought I'd shoot something by our new windows. This one to be exact, is our kitchen patio door which was in desperate need of replacement. I've told this story several times, but in the winter time, our ceramic tiles are unbearably cold to feet fitted with socks. One time, we left ice cubes in the sink overnight, only to find out in the morning that said ice cubes remained 70% intact.

The challenge to this shot was that by the time I got home at 5:30, the sun was creeping down, and I was getting a full view of the sun shooting at this angle. I could've chosen to shoot at an easier angle, I but I was really loving the way that the sun was radiating through the flower pedals, almost giving them a wonderful glow. So I first tried shooting with a 50mm with just a UV filter on. Then I tried my 18-105mm with a polarizing filter on to cut down some light along with the strong reflection coming off of the table. I needed to switch over to manual mode here because in aperture priority, the camera was exposing for all the light, and hence, the flower was being underexposed. Still, I kept getting some clipping on the right side of the histogram, and I think this one had a minimal amount of it. I've also got a little lens flare - which could work in certain shots, but I don't think it really works here - if that's even lens flare where the light circle by the flower is. I was already using a lens hood with the 18-105mm lens as well. I may try this shoot again tomorrow at around dusk where the sun is much warmer and richer color, and I don't have to deal with colors around the flower being too washed out from the strength of the sun.

Anyway, here's to our new windows, and a relatively happy and warm winter!

2 comments:

  1. I love this shot, Fred! It makes me feel a bit wistful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks earthangel! I'm glad to know that this photo elicited an emotional response!

    ReplyDelete