Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Peeping Through the Frames

From photo project 2010


The Subject:
I'm lucky to have a nice view on my commute to and from work. The back roads that I take give me a lot of farm scenery, and is especially beautiful in the fall or when there's fresh snow resting on the smallest branches in the winter time. Often, I'm lucky to be able to ogle at an Aston Martin, Lamborgini, or even a Shelby Cobra driving around Princeton. One thing is constant though, and it's the tiny Lotus dealership in or just outside of Hopewell. This was a shot I've been wanting to take for quite some time, and on my way home from work, I finally got to take one. When the weather is nice, these garage doors are either half or fully opened. That would've been nice to get a better glimpes of the cars being worked on, but then much of the rich green doors would've been lost. Who knows what could've been, but you can expect to see another post on this dealership in the future. Here, we're peeking at a Lotus Elise. There are more parked out in front of the dealership, but I thought this was a more interesting shot.

The Shot:
Not much to talk about here. F stop at 9 or 10 on my 18-105mm lens and polarizing filter on. Histogram showed no clipping with curves on both the left and the right. Viewing it on my computer monitor showed that the brightness needed to be brought down a bit. Everywhere I've read, professionals say it's always better for you shot to be brighter (bell curve towards the right of the histogram) than darker (bell curve towards the left of the histogram). In fact, you should be looking for your bell curve to be on the right of the histogram because it's always easier to bring the image darker to match correct black levels than it is to make the darker parts lighter. You won't be losing any detail doing it the first way. Hence why when people ask me if I use post editing software, I always say yes. Your photos are often not complete without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment