Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Macro on the Cheap

From photo project 2010


From photo project 2010


I've been wanting to shoot macro for a while now, but have always been held back by the price of a $300-$550 macro lens. I've been reading that you can achieve macro photography with a reversing ring for your fixed focal lens, so I decided to give it a try. Picked up a reversing ring today that reverses the way your lens mounts onto your camera. The wider the angle of your lens, the bigger zoom you can get. Only fixed focal lens I have is a 50mm so it'll have to do for now. I wrestled with the DOF on these shots. F stop set at 8 manually with the aperture ring on the lens (since you lose all control of the lens from the camera body, along with auto focus and metering), the DOF was still pretty shallow. I have bad eyes, so at 11 and 16, the aperture was so small that it was hard to see in my viewfinder what I was looking at, let alone trying to manually focus, so I was stuck at a maximum aperture of 8. Not too bad for a $30 reversing ring. Would I throw down $300 to $550 bones for a real macro lens? Definitely in the future. I want my auto focus and metering back!

No comments:

Post a Comment