Friday, August 6, 2010

Acoustic by the Window

From photo project 2010


I first started off the shoot of our second bedroom by shooting the new drapes I hung last night. Since we had our new windows installed, I haven't had any motivation to install the bamboo blinds again until this week. The shoot of the drapes weren't too interesting so I decided to shoot my acoustic. The idea of hanging drapes along with blinds was Sue's idea - likely an inspiration from HGTV or Martha Stewart Living. It does ad an extra bit of tranquility to the vibe of the room and I thought a signle chair and an acoustic guitar leaned against it would make a decent shot.

This guitar is my second ever. A Lowden O10 made back in the late 1990's with a cedar top and mahogany back and sides. Handcrafted in Ireland, I first found this guitar in an enclosed glass case in Sam Ash. Sharing that case was the more expensive, but less loved 032 model. That day, I asked to play it - and in an instant, I was connected with it. The tone, the warm, rich, yet bright characteristic of the guitar took hold in my heart and never let go. I was still in school at the time so I had no means to pay for a guitar like this. I put it down and said, "This will be mine one day." It's hard to believe that this guitar sat in Sam Ash for two years, but I'm not entirely surprised. The majority our population shopping solely at big box music stores don't do enough research and run towards lesser made and lesser sounding Taylors and Martins at a premium of the cost. That's not to say that everyone who buys Taylors and Martins are suckers - I'm sure there's a good reason someone would spend $500-$1000 more for a guitar that doesn't have nearly as good of a tonal quality as these Lowdens. Anyway, after my first paycheck at my first full time job, I went in and bought it off the shelf. This guitar was meant to be for me! For less than the cost of a top of the line 15" Macbook Pro, this guitar has been with me for over 10 years. It's picked up some wear and tear along the way, but it still sounds amazing. Thank you George Lowden and your apprentices for your innovative design and craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment