Friday, August 13, 2010

Pagan Sunday, or God's Ordained Sabbath?

From photo project 2010


We didn't have church last Sunday because during the summer, we've been having services every other Sunday. On the off Sundays, we have a community outreach event where we serve our community and be the church out in the world. Sometimes, these events happen on a Saturday or during the week instead. I'll be the first to admit, not having church one Sunday where I don't have to worry about being responsible for leading worship, rushing out the door with all my equipment, lugging everything back and forth and such was nice. It was relaxing. I bet it was what God had in mind when He initiated "The Sabbath". We just tend to muck it up a little with complex programs and chores and tasks at church on Sundays just so we can hold a church service. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we do away with church service on Sundays. Worshiping God together is a joy. But I wonder if sometimes we over complicate things with extensive Sunday Schools, church clean up, serving lunch, ministry meetings, etc., that we've lost the concept of the sabbath that God intended for us.

This last Sunday was nice. Weather was gorgeous, so I sat out on the patio reading and sipping coffee in the morning. I can't tell you how such a simple thing refreshes my spirit. By the way, those are not my flip flops. They're Sue's in case you're wondering why I have such small feet. And that book is The Hot Shoe Diary - a book about using flash on your DSLR creatively.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Good to hear that u enjoyed your sabbath as it was meant to be! A day to refrsh heart mind & soul! We can always do a simpler set if that will help!

    ReplyDelete